INTERESTING VISITS

Our guide is divided into two itineraries. The first itinerary is the religious itinerary. It consists of a visit to the religious monuments of Sineu. The second itinerary is called the “anthropologic itinerary”. It focuses on the rest of the monuments in the town centre, which are linked to the daily activity of the village. At the end of the itinerary we suggest other sites which visitors might find interesting. Obviously, these two itineraries are just a proposal. Feel free to design your own route at any given time.


A- The religious itinerary


The itinerary starts at carrer de Sant Francesc, where you will find the old Convent of the Minims (1). Even though it was founded in 1667, the convent was largely restored in 1722. The restoration works included the construction of the cloister, among other elements. In 1835 it passed into secular hands due to the expulsion of the Order of the Minims. Since 1877 it houses the Town Hall. The main facade has two floors and a Baroque main door.

The ground floor windows are splayed and the top floor windows are quadrangular with corbels and frames. There are also several tiles with pictorial motifs.

The cloister is Baroque and has a quadrangular or slightly trapezoidal ground plan. The columns rest on plinths and support segmental arches. The capitals present small volutes of Ionic tradition at the top while at the base they present small rings with interesting relieves alternately representing the mitre and the star of the coast of arms of the Bishop Estela. In the centre there is an octagonal cistern neck bearing the inscription Charitas, the motto of the Minims, dating from 1693.

AAdmire the octagonal dome on pendentives decorated with small angel heads on the facade that contains the flight of stairs leading to the top floor. The library and municipal archives are located on the same floor. The archives house the “barcella de Sineu”. It is the official measure used in Mallorca to weigh cereals and other grain. This bronze tapered container dates from the 12th century. It has two handles and three legs and engravings of the coats of arms of Sineu and the old kingdom of Mallorca. Carrer del vent leads to the Cross of els Morts (cross of the dead) (2) or Cross of en Rapó as it was known in the past. There are documents referring to this cross as "Creu de la Placeta d'en Rapó".

The cross was built in 1585 and has Gothic and Renaissance elements. It is a Latin cross. The arms end in star-shaped medallions and are decorated with vegetable motifs in the middle section. There are four symbols that appear alternately on the capital: two coats of arms of Sineu, the anagram of Jesus and the year of construction. The cross was built by Rafel Guitard and it is located in the junction of carrer Creu and carrer Bous and the beginning of carrer del Cementiri. Its current name is due to its location, since in the past it was customary to carry the dead to this site.

Take carrer de Sant Francesc to reach the old Convent of the Minims (2). Even though it was founded in 1667, the convent was largely restored in 1722. The restoration work included the construction of the cloister, among other elements. In 1835 it passed into secular hands due to the expulsion of the Order of the Minims.

Since 1877 it houses the Town Hall. The main facade has two floors and a Baroque main door. The ground floor windows are splayed and the top floor windows are quadrangular with corbels and frames. There are also several tiles with pictorial motifs. The cloister is Baroque and has a quadrangular or slightly trapezoidal ground plan. The columns rest on plinths and support segmental arches. The capitals present small volutes of Ionic tradition at the top while on the base they present small rings with interesting relieves alternately representing the mitre and the star of the coast of arms of the Bishop Estela. In the centre there is an octagonal cistern neck bearing the inscription Charitas, the motto of the Minims, dating from 1693.

Admire the octagonal dome on pendentives decorated with small angel heads on the facade that contains the flight of stairs leading to the top floor. The library and municipal archives are located on the same floor. The archives house the “barcella de Sineu”. It is the official measure used in Mallorca to weigh cereals and other grain. This bronze tapered container dates from the 12th century. It has two handles and three legs and engravings of the coats of arms of Sineu and the old kingdom of Mallorca.

(NEXT)